Monday, May 28, 2012

First Weekend Away

Dear Abby,

This weekend we trekked down to Preston - your first visit to the best place on Earth. I hope you enjoyed it. I was highly anxious, even as I anticipated taking you out of our little apartment. I know it's been - what?- eleven days now? But, still, you're so fragile and dependent. Call me crazy, I just want the best for you.

We had multiple reasons we really wanted to go this weekend. One being that Uncle Joe, Aunt Traci and the kids would be there. It's a must that you meet them. I'm sure they'll play a major role in your life. You hadn't met Morgan yet, also a must (and she just graduated from high school on Thursday - which we were super sad to miss!). Meeting Grammy Abby, obviously a need, as well as Julie. Both of these women will be huge influences in your life, you'll love them like family, I'm sure. And, last but not least, Grandma Harrison was still in town from Morg's graduation (and a bonus, it was her 70th birthday).

You did so good in the car. You were awake for a good portion of the drive, but just quietly hung out in the car seat, playing with your hands. You love to do that. And to scratch your face, always enjoyable. We didn't realize how much more we would have to pack for the little 6 lb addition you are to the Honda. We struggled - and we were only gone over night.

You were spoiled endlessly. As we were leaving Preston the next evening the kids were already asking when they would see you again (they've forgotten Dad and I already). It was a fun stay and you got passed from person to person constantly. The only time I really saw you was to feed you. You are so loved. People say you look like me. I take it as a compliment - you are gorgeous. I don't know how you should feel though...

The only downside was that that was the one night you've been difficult. Dad and I sat up with you all night long. It was a long night, but all it takes to bring us back to reality is a glance at your beautiful face and we feel we can do more nights like that (don't take us up on it though, we prefer the good nights - as adorable as you are).

It was so fun to watch you with everyone. Seeing everyone appreciate you in their own way is priceless. Like I said, you are so loved.

We came back on Saturday, stopping in Grace for you to meet Grandma Smith and a stop at Grandma and Grandpa Ackerman's to see Lexi and Javid and feed you. You were fussy when we went to Grandma Smith's and she rocked you right to sleep. She loves to rock babies.

We got home and have hung out today (Sunday). We have had kind of a lazy day, the three of us hanging out in our bed all day, watching Friends and enjoying every moment with you. It is probably only five minutes that passes (at the most) before Dad or I says, "Look at her!" or "She's so cute, come see what she's doing!" It's as simple as the way you're sleeping (hands up to your face, as always...or tucked perfectly under your chin) or the subconsciousness smiles you make in your sleep. I hope you know how cherished and loved you are. This weekend only confirmed that for me.

Now, I'm going to go snuggle you and Daddy - my two loves.

Always your biggest fan,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment